Starting in 2021, residents in municipalities no longer apply for the home owner grant through their municipal office. Everyone now applies directly to the province using a new online system that’s easy to use and will process applications faster.
IMPORTANT: To avoid penalties, owners are required to apply annually for the home owner grant prior to the property tax due date. The home owner grant is a form of payment and is subject to the property tax due date.
To qualify for the home owner grant, you must:
- be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada
- live in BC, and
- occupy this residence as your principal residence
You may qualify as a homeowner who is:
- Regular home owner grant
- Under 65 years of age
- Additional home owner grant
- A senior (age 65 or older in the calendar year)
- A War Veteran
- A person with disabilities
- A person living with a spouse or relative with disabilities
- A spouse or relative of a deceased owner
Claim your Home Owner Grant